[c-nsp] T1 w/ integrated CSU/DSU module - high density NM - does it exist?

Joel M Snyder Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM
Mon Jun 23 22:05:09 EDT 2008

I've noticed that our T1 business is dropping off in favor of Ethernet business
and I'm trying to do some device consolidation.  I'm looking for some NM for
36xx/37xx/38xx routers that can handle more than 2 T1s with integrated
CSU/DSU---and I'm beginning to think that they don't exist.

I have a 4-port ATM IMA card, but that doesn't present the controller as a
separate device so you can't go 'around' the ATM SAR the way you could with, for
example, an MFT port on a MC3810.

So: is there something I'm missing?  Can I run standard T1s (non-ATM) into a
4-port or 8-port ATM card?

If not... is there anything other than buying 2W NMs and stuffing them full of
T1 ports?

I already have enormous numbers of 4-port serial cards, but I'm trying to get
rid of our external CSU/DSU boxes and just run the T1 straight into the router.

Am I nuts or does Cisco not handle this case?

jms
--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494