[c-nsp] T1 w/ integrated CSU/DSU module - high density NM - does it exist?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Jun 23 22:40:55 EDT 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Joel M Snyder wrote:

> I've noticed that our T1 business is dropping off in favor of Ethernet
> business and I'm trying to do some device consolidation.  I'm looking for
> some NM for 36xx/37xx/38xx routers that can handle more than 2 T1s with
> integrated CSU/DSU---and I'm beginning to think that they don't exist.
>
> So: is there something I'm missing?  Can I run standard T1s (non-ATM) into a
> 4-port or 8-port ATM card?

No.

> If not... is there anything other than buying 2W NMs and stuffing them full
> of T1 ports?

You can do 4 T1s per NM with 2W NMs and dual port T1 integrated DSU WICs.

> I already have enormous numbers of 4-port serial cards, but I'm trying to get
> rid of our external CSU/DSU boxes and just run the T1 straight into the
> router.
>
> Am I nuts or does Cisco not handle this case?

Not well on the platforms you mention.  The "cisco solution" would be a
7200 with PA-MC-T3 or PA-MC-2T3 and M13 muxes to aggregate DS1s into
channelized DS3s.  Alternatively, if you have a bunch of old dial-up gear
gathering dust and don't need anything fancy feature-wise, AS53192s can
take 8 T1s using the PRI ports (built in DSUs).