[c-nsp] BGP prefix announcement question..

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Jun 25 11:13:55 EDT 2008

Drew Weaver wrote:
> Hi there, there appear to be a few different ways (I'd almost say
> "many") to announce/filter BGP prefix announcements between neighbors
> these days (I'm speaking specifically about Internet edge neighbors
> here i.e. company to internet transit provider), I am trying to see
> if there has ever been defined a 'standard' way to do it which makes
> things like employing Blackhole communities (on the side of the
> corporation) a little less painful than cutting your own teeth with a
> spoon.

Every BGP prefix in our network gets tagged with at least one community,
that of a "magic code", upon origination/learning/injection/whatevah.
It's basically of the form <ourAS>:ABCDE, where A indicates the type of
route (customer, ours, public peer, private peer, paid transit) and BC
indicates the POP of first contact.  We then filter based on the :A code
before propagating to upstream providers.

Tedious to author, but phenomenally useful once in place.

pt