[c-nsp] Sup32 TCAM limit

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jun 27 02:06:10 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:38:46PM -0400, The Father wrote:
> So if these SUP32s are pretty much useless for holding the full internet
> tables, what good are they?

Beat your Cisco sales representative with them.

(The hardware is capable of being upgraded to a Sup32-3B/XL, and the
software currently does support it - but Cisco decided "we are not going
to officially support that", so you can't rely on that).

Whatever BU is responsible for *that* decision needs to understand that
customers do not like decisions that obsolete existing hardware without
good reason.

(Yes, I'm aware of the Sup32 limitations, as in "no fabric" and "slow
CPU" - but it does a good job for us, running a medium-sized POP that
requires about 5 GigE links and nothing else.  But it needs full BGP...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de