[c-nsp] PIX 515E Ethernet MDI/MDIX troubleshooting

Jason Gurtz jasongurtz at npumail.com
Fri Jun 27 15:09:58 EDT 2008

Is there a way to manually select MDI/MDIX mode on the Ethernet interfaces
of the PIX 515E?  Is there any debugging capability?  From my looks about
at cisco.com it would appear that they're standard MDI ports and no
debugging commands seem applicable... :(  Some background:

We've had a problem with an IPS device (layer7 bump in the wire) deployed
at the edge outside the PIX device and have received a replacement box.
The Ethernet ports on the IPS feature Auto-MDIX capability or can be
manually set to either MDI or MDIX mode.  Previously, we left the IPS in
its default Auto setting and statically configured speed and duplex.  This
worked fine with standard patch cables.  On the replacement box I could
not get the ports to link between it and the PIX no matter if I set the
IPS ports manually at MDIX or MDI mode or left it at auto.  I just
discovered that cross-over cables make the PIX+ADw--+AD4-IPS link up (crossover
cable works no matter if manually configured or auto). OK, so I figure the
replacement has semi-borked ports.  But...

More bizarrely, the replacement IPS links just fine using regular or
crossover patch cables to a 3Com 5500 series switch or to an old ThinkPad
G40 laptop with a 10/100 port.  I dunno maybe I'm just wasting time here
but it would make me feel better if I could see some debugging errors and
not feel crazy.

+AH4-JasonG