[c-nsp] BGP sessions won't establish.

Roy r.engehausen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 01:19:35 EDT 2008

David Coulson wrote:
> Roy wrote:
>> Just to bring everybody up to date, the ISP keeps saying its
>> something we are doing.  To eliminates any quirks, we have a spare
>> router directly connected to the metro ethernet box now.
> I've not really paid much attention to the technical side of this, but
> having turned up BGP peering with dozens of carriers and smaller ISPs
> in the past, I'd just throw it back at them and have them supply a
> functional configuration for you.
They have.  It matches perfectly.

> Why are you wasting your time on this? I assume you're not paying for
> the circuit yet, so put some pressure on them and make them realize
> that they can start billing when they figure out how to make the damn
> thing work for you.
I am just the contractor that maintains their routers.   The ISP owner
made the upstream selection and signed the contract.  He is the one to
do the yelling and screaming.

> They're the provider and you're the customer - Make them earn their
> contract value :)
Unfortunately, the large ISP is one of the low cost leaders so while the
people that answer the phones are responsive, they refer it off to the
"experts" who haven't done much.   I set up a test router and gave them
the passwords and their response was "we aren't allowed to configure
your router".

I want to thank the subscribers to the list for their suggestions and
help.   I will send along updates and the final resolution for the
edification of all.

Roy