[c-nsp] eigrp and ospf on same switch

Dan Letkeman danletkeman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 13:25:15 EST 2008

Hello,

I have eigrp routing setup on all of my layer 3 switches.  I have the
need to add ospf into the mix.  I have it working, but I'm not quite
sure I understand why.

Here is the config on the 3560 doing both ospf and eigrp routing.

router eigrp 1313
 router-id 0.0.0.20
 log-adjacency-changes
 redistribute connected
 redistribute static
 default-metric 10000 100 255 1 1500
 redistribute ospf 1313 metric 10000 100 255 1 1500
 network 10.50.1.0 0.0.0.255 area 1
 network 10.50.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 1

router ospf 1313
 router-id 0.0.0.20
 log-adjacency-changes
 redistribute connected
 redistribute static
 default-metric 100
 redistribute eigrp 1313 metric 100
 network 10.50.1.0 0.0.0.255 area 1
 network 10.50.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 1

So I have set the default-metric to 100 under the ospf routing command
and I am redistributing eigrp into ospf with a metric of 100.  I'm a
bit unsure why I had to set the metric on that one and why it can't
use the default.  Also I have set a metric of 10000 100 255 1 1500
under the eigrp router command and I am redistributing the ospf routes
into eigrp with that metric.  Is there a simple explanation as to how
the metric is calculated for eigrp?

Thanks,
Dan.