[c-nsp] eigrp and ospf on same switch

Ben Steele ben at internode.com.au
Sun Mar 2 02:32:09 EST 2008

On 02/03/2008, at 4:55 AM, Dan Letkeman wrote:
>  Is there a simple explanation as to how
> the metric is calculated for eigrp?

5 things, Bandwidth, Delay, Reliability, Load and MTU.

I used to use the "Big Dogs Really Like Meat" acronym when I was first
learning about it to help remember :)

Most people should really only need to worry about the first two when
modifying for redistribution, that is bandwidth and delay, the
remaining 3 can generally just be set to 255 1 and 1500 respectively,
unless you see fit to change them for a specific reason.

As for your config, for starters try removing your default-metrics for
each routing protocol as it appears you've added them not really
knowing why you have, best to leave these as default for now, as for
redistributing this is where you do want to specify them so the
protocol knows how to treat these foreign routes and how to advertise
them to it's peers.

Also it's very unwise to redistribute protocol's both-ways, you are
asking for a routing loop, you should only need to do this one-way,
what is your reason for doing it both ways?

Have a read of http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/103/eigrp-toc.html
especially the redistributing section.

Cheers

Ben