[c-nsp] Can "power-on" mean anything other than power on?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Mar 12 10:12:34 EDT 2008

I second the UPS option or simply connecting 1 of the switches to any
other power source (ie, extension cord down the hall to another room).
Another trick that I've used to diagnose a faulty UPS (at a job with a
need but no money) was to pick up a couple $5 digital alarm clocks at
Wal-Mart.  I connected one to the line power and one to the UPS and set
the time on both.  Neither clock had the backup battery installed in it.
  The next time we had an "event" the clock on the UPS was flashing; the
clock on the line power was fine.  Bad UPS.  That same trick could be
used to find any bad power source (other than problems created by dirty
power sources).

Justin