[c-nsp] Can "power-on" mean anything other than power on?

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Wed Mar 12 10:24:12 EDT 2008

I am sorry to say that I have experienced this before and the problem was *not* the switch losing power.  We have a remotely-deployed 3548XL-EN that for some reason was reloading out of the blue - first it would reload every few hours.  Then it got to the point where it would stay up for several seconds, then reload.  The message showed exactly what you posted above and we immediately thought that the power cable was bad or loose, since it was on a UPS.

Going on-site, I checked everything and found no problems with the power.  After some troubleshooting, I found out that there was a "bad" device connected to one of the switchports that was sending data that caused the switch to reload without generating a software error.  I ended up finding this after having disabled every port, then enabling them one by one.

We're running:

IOS (tm) C3500XL Software (C3500XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

HTH,
evt