[c-nsp] MPLS VPN EIGRP tag/route redistribution ideas at PE

Ben Steele ben at internode.com.au
Thu Mar 13 01:28:26 EDT 2008

Scenario: cluster of PE's terminating DSL CE's running EIGRP between
CE and PE in MPLS VPN's, so the CE's could terminate on any one of the
PE's.

Problem: would like to identify EIGRP routes from certain neighbors
for BGP redistribution to use "set extcommunity cost pre-bestpath x x"
for weighting within the vrf, unfortunately when you are talking about
multiple CE's on the same PE it becomes hard to distinguish the routes
from one to another in BGP eyes as the origin is incomplete.

Solution: I would like the solution to be independent of the CE if
possible, so far I have thought about a route-map that would contain
the prefixes I am interested in configured on each PE that would set
the pre-bestpath based on the route-map prefixes so that way it
doesn't matter where the CE lands the prefixes get the appropriate
setting. This is a little bit of an administrative over hang should
the C decide to change their prefixes at any stage, what I would like
is some sort of tag I can put on within the eigrp vrf that will carry
through to the BGP vrf to match on, so I can match purely based on the
EIGRP neighbor on the EIGRP side of things then just have BGP match on
a tag/value, any ideas?

Cheers

Ben