[c-nsp] Cisco 10k?

Jason Berenson jason at pins.net
Thu Mar 13 14:53:17 EDT 2008

Justin,

I'm not worried too much about the size, I have room and on top of that
it will replace 3+ 7206's.  I do however have the option of just
upgrading the 7206's to NPE-G1's, adding more chassis as needed and
calling it a day.

I'm trying to make a decision now before things get too out of hand
whether or not I want to move to a single router platform or just keep
adding routers as needed.  It would eventually have multiple Gige ports
which would handle TLS circuits as well as DS1 termination and ATM
termination for DSLs.  Another thing to remember is we may eventually
get a blade for our Turin DAX which will allow us to terminate the DS1's
on the Turin and transport them to the router via ethernet and
VLANs/DS1.  This long-term option would let us get rid of the DS3 cards
and go mostly ethernet except for the limited ATM needed for DSLs.

The big advantages I can see is moving to a single chassis (one router
to manage), it's a much more powerful router then the 7206's and on a
per channelized DS3 port basis, it's half the price per port.  With all
that in mind, would you suggest going for a 10k and selling the 7206's
or just upgrading/adding more 7206's as needed?

-Jason