[c-nsp] MPLS or ?

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Tue Mar 18 00:27:50 EDT 2008

Troy Beisigl wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> We are looking to do the setup shown below. Customer 1 has 3 locations (A, B
> and C) and would like to be able to pass private traffic between all (WAN)
> and would also like to get internet access as well. Two of those locations
> will be DS1 circuits and the third will be DS3. All circuits will terminate
> on the router shown as "our router" here and on Cisco CPE at the customer
> end. From what I have been reading, it looks like it is not possible to do
> this via MPLS being that all traffic would be tagged and/or switched on the
> same router [our router].

MPLS tag switching is used to "black box" your network and carry other
than plain jane IP traffic across it.

In this case vrf lite is all you need, mpls would be used if you were
connecting your customer circuits to different of your routers and
wanted to tie them all in together without having to build out the
customer private network across your entire backbone.

If you want to offer them private connectivity with their own ip
addressing and ip routing, plus internet connectivity, I see a couple
basic approaches.

1) Use dual pvc's on each link, frame relay for t1's and frame relay or
atm for the ds3. Put one of the pvc's into a VRF instance for their
private communication and the other for "normal" internet.

2) Use only one pvc or ppp or hdlc for each circuit, put it into its own
vrf. Use a mechanism to cross the vrf on your router for only internet
traffic, either by route imports or by interface tunnels or physical
that loop into the vrf and back into the global table.