[c-nsp] GSR 12008 (%ENV_MON-2-FAN)

Chris Lane clane1875 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 07:29:52 EDT 2008

I am getting error
%ENV_MON-2-FAN: Fan array has reached CRITICAL level.

I did a search and found this on Ciscos website.
%ENV_MON-2-FAN : Fan array has reached [chars] level.

Explanation    There might be a hardware problem with the fan array. If the
error condition continues for two minutes, the router shuts down
automatically to prevent damage to router components.
Recommended Action    If the system shuts down, replace the fan tray. Copy
the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log,
contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the
representative with the gathered information.
I have just removed CSC cards and fan tray. Same symptoms.
I also must mention the alarm state is short unlike the 2minutes stated
above.
Mar 18 05:26:18.257 EST: %ENV_MON-2-FAN: Fan array has reached CRITICAL
level.
Mar 18 05:26:21.066 EST: %ENV_MON-2-FAN: Fan array has reached CRITICAL
level.

Also i checked:
cr.nyc1.ny#sh controllers fia
Fabric configuration: 2.4Gbps bandwidth, redundant fabric
Master Scheduler: Slot 17     Backup Scheduler: Slot 16
>From Fabric FIA Errors
-----------------------
redund fifo parity 0          redund overflow 0          cell drops
0
crc32 lkup parity  0          cell parity     0          crc32
0
Switch cards present    0x001F    Slots  16 17 18 19 20
Switch cards monitored  0x001F    Slots  16 17 18 19 20
Slot:     16         17         18         19         20
Name:    csc0       csc1       sfc0       sfc1       sfc2
       --------   --------   --------   --------   --------
los    0          0          0          0          0
state  Off        Off        Off        Off        Off
crc16  0          0          0          0          0

To Fabric FIA Errors
sca not pres 0          req error     0          uni fifo overflow 0

grant parity 0          multi req     0          uni fifo undrflow 0

cntrl parity 0          uni req       0          crc32 lkup parity 0

multi fifo   0          empty dst req 0          handshake error   0

cell parity  0

As you can see no errors are incrementing on the SFC or CSC.

I am stumped.

//CL