[c-nsp] IOS 12.2(33)SRB2 clear arp-table

Paul Cosgrove paul.cosgrove at heanet.ie
Thu Mar 20 12:42:30 EDT 2008

Hi Andrey,

How are you detecting that the arp-table is spontaneously cleared?  I'm
wondering whether it is increasing in size before it clears, and whether
it then immediately begins to increase again to normal levels.

If there is a scan taking place on your network (e.g. virus or network
discovery), then the router connected to the scanned subnet will have to
try to resolve each destination IP address.  Each arp will be a broadcast.

If the subnet is large, and the scanning rate fast, then the arp table
may be filled with incomplete entries and (I guess) old entries forced
out.  Incomplete entries are only kept for a few seconds, so when they
expire you may end up with a relatively sudden decrease in table size.

Paul.

--
HEAnet Limited
Ireland's Education & Research Network