[c-nsp] ASA or Router?

Rupert Finnigan rupert.finnigan at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 21 15:31:56 EDT 2008

 Hi All,

I've been pondering something over in my head for a while, and can't reach a
decision and so am interested in what others experiences might be.

I'm currently working on a topology to link a number of retail units
together back to head-office that'll support VoIP, email (pop3) and EPOS
related traffic - basically the traffic requirements per store will be very
low. However, I expect there to eventually be 60-80 stores.

I'm going to put 1801w routers in each store, as they're perfectly taylored
to the needs of a small-ish Retail location, and run DMVPN to handle the
spoke to spoke VoIP traffic.. What I'm still trying to decide on is what to
put at the head-office hub end. I need something to concentrate the VPN
tunnels, and to terminate a SDSL line and so am thinking either a ASA 5510
with a 1803 router, or a just a 2800 series router. At present we've got
something to terminate "road-warrior" clients and so that isn't a
consideration.

Just interested in various options/comments or any pointers anyone can
offer..

Thanks Muchly,

Rupes