[c-nsp] LX vs. LH GBICs

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Mar 21 18:35:02 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 03:57:59PM -0500, Max Pierson wrote:
> 1000BaseLX/LH interfaces are fully comply with the IEEE 802.3z
> 1000BaseLX standard. However, their higher optical quality allows them
> to reach 10 km over single-mode fiber (SMF) versus the 5 km specified in
> the standard. This is where the LH kicks in...which allows them to
> achieve a longer distance when used with SMF.

But at this point every LX you're ever going to run across does 10km or
better (often much better), and the use of the name "LH" is just a
Ciscoism that only serves to confuse people. Also note that different
vendors use the names differently, for example Juniper LH is a 70km 1550nm
optic (what cisco calls ZX), which is different from its LX 10km 1310nm
optic.

At any rate they're all compatible with each other, all RX units are
wide-band, so as long as you aren't trying to engineer something
complicated (with a filter, with concerns about dispersion, etc) your only
real concern is "do I have enough optical budget" and maybe "do I need to
attenuate".