[c-nsp] LX vs. LH GBICs

Max Pierson max at hbcorporate.com
Sat Mar 22 12:10:07 EDT 2008

Hi Matt,

Here is some output from my Cat6k (IOS) and my Cat4k (CatOS).

Cat4k:
------
1/1  Uplink1	connected	trunk	normal   full  1000 1000-LX/LH
1/2  Downlink1	connected	65    normal   full  1000 1000-LX/LH

Cat6k:
------
GigabitEthernet1/2 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
 Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is LX

GigabitEthernet3/8 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
  Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is LH

Both Cat6k links work fine...as well as the Cat4k links.

I would verify the fiber type used from end to end (SMF or MMF). Make
sure your patch cables are the same on your side....this has been known
to cause problems (although I've gotten it to work on special
occasions). Also, you might want to try to disable autonegotiation on
your side to see if the link comes up. This has bitten me a few times
where I could not figure out why the link would not come up...even
though my db levels were in spec.

--nmp