[c-nsp] rack power question

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Mar 25 08:23:50 EDT 2008

We've seen some customers order 2 x 120 volt, 30 amp power circuits
which is about 5.8kW, and it's not uncommon. With the new blade server
people coming in we see 208 volt, 30 amp circuits being ordered and
those are approx 5kW each and it's not uncommon to have people order
multiple circuits since you can usually fit 3+ blade chassis in a single
42U rack. We typically recommend to our customers that they keep their
total power consumption under 6kW to avoid their rack overheating, but
if the rack is completely full and you run hot isle / cold isle like we
do it is possible to exceed 6kW of power consumption in one rack and not
have overheating issues with the equipment.

We typically run our network stuff on DC power, and we have lots lower
power density there. The biggest problem we see with network stuff is
that so much of the devices run sideways air flow (not "in the front,
out the back", so we have to do funny air baffle setups to keep the hot
air from blowing into the intake of the next rack in the row.

   -Bill

scenarios.

> >  Are there cases where more than 6000W per rack would be needed?

> >  (We are not worried about cooling due to the special circumstances

> > of  the space.)

> >  Would someone pay extra for > 7KW in a rack?  What would be the

> > maximum  you could ever see yourself needing in order to power all
42U ?