[c-nsp] QoS problems on ATM pvc - IOS bug?

neal rauhauser nrauhauser at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:34:21 EDT 2008

  This one is a real head scratcher for me. I've got two 7206s, both running
c7200-p-mz.123-22.bin, both with identical PAs. One is in production, the
other is a hot spare. I got frustrated enough with trying to get QoS set up
that I pulled this config line for line from an example on CCO:

class-map match-all VoIP-Control
  match ip precedence 3
class-map match-all Video
  match ip precedence 4
policy-map WAN
  class VoIP-Control
   bandwidth 64
  class Video
   bandwidth 2000
  class class-default
   fair-queue

 And I'm applying it here:

!test box PVC - this one works fine
interface ATM2/0.666 point-to-point
 description Irritated Customer, LLC
 ip address 192.168.209.253 255.255.255.252
 pvc 5/54
  protocol ip 192.168.209.254
  broadcast
  encapsulation aal5snap
  service-policy output WAN

!production box - will have nothing to do with a policy being placed on the
PVC
interface ATM2/0.98004 point-to-point
 description Irritated Customer, LLC
 ip address 192.168.209.253 255.255.255.252
 pvc 5/54
  protocol ip 192.168.209.254
  broadcast
  encapsulation aal5snap
!many attempts to get the service policy right here, ain't put on an
appearance yet

    I've wrestled with this one quite a bit and even went so far as getting
a maintenance window and rebooting the darned thing - someone else had been
fooling with QoS stuff before they called me in and I was starting to think
maybe they'd managed to aggravate some seldom touched bits of the MQC.

     The production machine has 32 subinterfaces which correspond to frame
T1 endpoints on the far side. There are 600+ DSL PPPoA sessions terminating
on this machine as well. The processor runs at a consistent 32%, there are
only a few hundred routes via OSPF. The engine is an NPE400 with 512 meg.
The machine has been in production for quite some time and is stable and
trustworthy. There is no Smartnet on it.

  So ... anyone have any ideas here?

--
mailto:Neal at layer3arts.com //
GoogleTalk: nrauhauser at gmail.com