[c-nsp] 7600 Questions

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Mar 27 14:09:33 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 02:00:05PM -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Can Sup720-3BXL do MPLS or is this dependant on the line cards?  Our
> thoughts are oriented around VPLS type of services.

Yes - and no.  MPLS yes, VPLS no (needs special line cards).

> I've read that the Sup720-3BXL can hold 1 million routes in the tables vs
> 256,000 on other platforms - true??  We're looking at splitting up 3 transit
> providers and a couple hundred peers across them..

Number of transit providers / peers is pretty meaningless, as soon as you
have a single full table.

Number of FIB entries is what counts - and yes, the 3BXL can hold
1 million IPv4 routes, or 500.000 IPv6 routes.  Or 500.000 IPv4 + 250.000
IPv6, or whatever ratio suits you.  MPLS entries also take up TCAM space.

(All these questions have been asked & answered already, btw, and can be
found in the mailing list archives...)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de