[c-nsp] 2821 VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 clocking issue

Robert Blayzor rblayzor.bulk at inoc.net
Thu May 1 05:47:41 EDT 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> Second E-1 on the WIC shows slips.  It appears that "clock source
> line"
> doesn't do what it should, or somehow the first E-1 is clocking both
> circuits.  Physically disconnecting the first E-1 fixes the slips on
> the
> second.

Are both of these E1 links going to different telecom providers or
just to one telecom provider and one to a private link of sorts?  If
they're both going to telecom providers, shouldn't their clock source
be relatively close?  I'm thinking if their a carrier they probably
should be synced at stratum 1 BITS source if not at the very least 3e
for all their SDH/SONET equipment...  I believe a E1/T1 only requires
stratum 4, maybe even 5.  I'd find it a bit strange if two actual
telecom carriers had that much difference in clock source that you
were seeing slips.  The other questions is, are you sure you're
getting good clocking from both providers, have you tried one and not
the other, etc?

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net
http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/

Mac OS X. Because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging
Windows.