[c-nsp] Cisco Processing Regarding ICMP

Paul Cosgrove paul.cosgrove at heanet.ie
Sun May 11 08:14:14 EDT 2008

Hi Alaerte,

Well the packets with DF set will be dropped, but I don't know what rate
restrictions (if any) exist about the generation of ICMP notifications
when this occurs.  Perhaps someone else can provide that informaton.

Normally, PMTUD on the end devices should reduce the number of large
packets you receive (in response to the ICMP notifications your router
sends).

If PMTUD is broken or not used by those devices, for TCP traffic you
have the option of having the router modify the segment size sent in
transit SYN packets, to keep the packet size down.  See:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/command/reference/iap_i2.html#wp1012558
Haven't used this with high rates of traffic though and am not sure of
the the impact the command itself will impose on the routers performance.

You may need to be more concerned about the effect of large IPv4 packets
which do not have DF set, as I would imagine that they will put more of
a load on the router as it fragments them.  Keep in mind that certain
multicast packets can greatly increase this effect.

Paul.