[c-nsp] Cisco Processing Regarding ICMP

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Sun May 11 08:32:10 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 01:14:14PM +0100, Paul Cosgrove wrote:
> Hi Alaerte,
>
> Well the packets with DF set will be dropped, but I don't know what rate
> restrictions (if any) exist about the generation of ICMP notifications
> when this occurs.  Perhaps someone else can provide that informaton.

You can rate-limit ICMP generation due to MTU failures:

Router(config)#mls rate-limit all mtu-failure ?
  <10-1000000>  packets per second

but, by default it not configured to any rate:

Router#show mls rate-limit
 Sharing Codes: S - static, D - dynamic
 Codes dynamic sharing: H - owner (head) of the group, g - guest of the group

   Rate Limiter Type       Status     Packets/s   Burst  Sharing
[...]
           MTU FAILURE   Off                  -       -     -

so, it's possible that high rate of MTU failures will overload your
65xx/76xx..