[c-nsp] Using same AS number

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed May 14 05:05:41 EDT 2008

Rudy Setiawan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As per BGP rule, that if a router sees its own AS in the path, it will
> filter them out of the prefixes.
>
> So if I have two locations with different providers and no direct
> connection to each other, what's the best way to be able to use the
> same AS and yet still sees the prefixes/routes?

use "allowas-in"

i.e.:

router bgp xxxx
  neighbor a.b.c.d allowas-in 1

Beware; I've seen different behaviour on the Ciscos (where the command
*seems* to only be needed on eBGP peering - other iBGP peers just take
the routes) and junipers (where the equivalent command[1] needs to be
present on all routers in your AS)

[1] On Juniper, you need:

protocols {
     bgp {