[c-nsp] Cat 3560

Jason Berenson jason at pins.net
Thu May 15 15:07:52 EDT 2008

Greetings,

This is probably an obvious question but I seem to be overlooking
something.  I have a Catalyst 3560 running
c3560-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SED1.bin.  I just changed out the SFP on
gi0/2 to be a fiber SFP instead of copper.  Here's what I see when it's
not plugged in, is this normal?  I tried looking for media type commands
but there don't seem to be any present.

router>show int gi0/2
GigabitEthernet0/2 is down, line protocol is down (err-disabled)
  Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is 0016.473c.0ae2 (bia
0016.473c.0ae2)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive not set
  Full-duplex, Auto-speed, link type is auto, media type is unknown
  input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input never, output never, output hang never
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo

Here's the config for that port:

interface GigabitEthernet0/2
 description << TLS 1G primary >>
 no switchport
 no ip address
 speed nonegotiate
 no cdp enable

I also can't seem to make a sub interface:

frangelico(config)#int gi0/2.1 ?
% Unrecognized command

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,