[c-nsp] Bridging ATM on 7206?

Nathan have.an.email at gmail.com
Tue May 20 11:18:35 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have a 7206 G1 running 12.3(21) with a PA-A3 interface. The ATM
interface has sub-interfaces, aal5snap encapsulated, each one of which
corresponds to one PVC and to one IP network (30 or /31 usually),
either public or in a VRF. I do not control the other end of the fiber
link. The other end of each PVC is usually some device that translates
between AAL5SNAP and Ethernet, connected to some customer-owned
equipement.

It seems that VLAN tags received on the Ethernet are encapsulated into
AAL5SNAP, so the customer should be able to configure 802.1q trunking
on the ethernet.

Question 1: can I bridge together two PVCs so that the ATM packets
that come in on one PVC go right out again on the other without being
de-encapsulated, or at least no layer-2 changes?

Question 2: can I set up something that permits me to distinguish
VLANs on the vlan-into-aal5snap-encapsulated PVCs, seeing each PVC as
a 802.1q trunk? I've found LANE, I've found "atm pvc vcd  vpi  vci",
but I don't see how to tie it all together, especially if I want to
put each VLAN in a separate VRF.

Basically what I want to do is have several PVCs, each containing a
802.1q trunk, and bridge them together, something like this:

- vlan 5 on PVCs 50/50, 50/51, 50/52 together into a single layer 2
that has no IP address on my 7206
- vlan 6 on PVCs 50/50, 50/51, 50/52 together into a single layer 2
that has a public IP address on my 7206
- vlan 7 on PVCs 50/50, 50/51, 50/52 together into a single layer 2
that has a private IP address in a VRF on my 7206

so that the network behaves as if the several customer devices on the
several PVCs were all connected to a simple switch.

Feasible? I'll take partial solutions too . . .

--
Thanks
Nathan