[c-nsp] Bridging ATM on 7206?

Matthew Crocker mcrocker at crocker.com
Tue May 20 12:08:04 EDT 2008

Nathan,

  It sounds like what you want to do should be possible.  I'm not sure
if the 7206 can do it or not.   I'm pretty sure a Redback SE-400 can
do it.

  You need to unwrap the layers of the onion...

  Build a Bridge group on the 7206 and attach each PVC to it.  That
should create one big layer 2 'switch' which should be transparent to
the VLAN tags on the PVCs.

  You now need to figure out how to get routed interfaces on the 7206
attaches to the bridge group.  You could do that with BVIs or you
could attach G0/1 to the bridge-group and then put a cross connect
cable into G0/2 and create the VLAN interfaces on G0/2

something like

  bridge 1 protocol vlan-bridge
  bridge irb

interface ATM1/0.50
   no ip address
   pvc 50/50
	encapsulation aal5snap
   bridge-group 1

interface ATM1/0.51
   no ip address
   pvc 51/51
     encapsulation aal5snap
   bridge-group 1

  [...]

interface bvi 1.6
    bridge 1 route ip
    encapsulation dot1q 6
    ip address 6.6.6.6 255.255.255.0

interface bvi 1.7
    bridge 1 route ip
    encapsulation dot1q 7
    ip vrf PRIVATE_IP
    ip address 7.7.7.7 255.255.255.0

I have no idea if this is even close to a working config but it is the
way I would think it should work.