[c-nsp] Usage Billing w/ Netflow / Implementation Pitfalls

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Tue May 20 15:25:36 EDT 2008

Well if you're looking at larger subsets, then FlowTracker might work for
you. You can delineate your user group via a CIDR block (e.g.,
192.168.100.40/29), group of IPs (up to 10, separated by commas, e.g.,
192.168.100.70, 192.168.100.71, etc.), or a combination of the two (e.g.,
192.168.100.40/29, 192.168.110.49, 192.168.100.50)

RRDtool maximums, minimums, averages, and 95th pct. are provided for each
of the five time periods (last 24 hours, last week, last 4 weeks, etc.).
You also have the ability, via the web interface, to dump each of the data
points into a list.

Joe

"Chris Riling" <criling at gmail.com> wrote on 05/20/2008 02:57:08 PM:

> That sounds pretty cool... I wouldn't be looking to pull info on all
> 1024 hosts in one report.. I'd be pulling info on groups of IPs;
> grouped by customer or machine, and I'd want to look at the amount
> of data transferred over the last 30 days or something... The reason
> I can't just look at switchports is because some of these customers
> use their network connections inside of our data center for more
> things than just internet access (i.e. I want to check at the border
> so I only see traffic that left our network toward the internet, or
> from the internet toward these hosts... I don't care about any usage
> incurred due to backup jobs, or other data transfer within the data
center)