[c-nsp] Enterprise MPLS connectivity question

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu May 22 03:52:40 EDT 2008

Hi Dave,

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 01:09 -0400, D W wrote:
> I've been tossing around a few ideas for an enterprise MPLS-based
> solution. The idea would involve the SP runnig a CSC based model with
> the enterprise customer at multiple large sites. The reason is to
> support multiple sub-organizations within the enterrpise that exist at
> most site........Taking a look at moving towards more of an internal
> service provider model due to various reasons. My question is how
> willing are providers these days to run a label advertisement protocol
> with customers? I'm also wondering if there are additinal costs
> compared to a customer running a multi-VRF (multiple sub-interfaces)
> CE solution.

The most obvious extra cost for the SP would be to have customer facing
equipment that can do label imposition. For enterprise networks,
typically requiring lots of bandwidth (Gigs) this could mean the
difference between a 3750 (VRF Lite only) CPE and e.g. a ME6524.

If the CPE is a router that can do MPLS already, there would be the
licence cost for MPLS enabled software.

> There are a couple of caveats in doing this, but I'm just
> trying to get a general feel for this type of MPLS Service Provider
> support for enterprise customers.

If you just want to run MPLS through an SP they could sell you some
VPLS og other L2 transport through which you could run anything. If
you're thinking large scale, multi-site connection, the L3 MPLS VPN is
good.

I think the best thing is to contact some SPs directly  and hear how
they would help you solve the problem.

Regards,
Peter