[c-nsp] 6509 power supply question

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Thu May 22 21:57:43 EDT 2008

Jarrod Friedland wrote:

> Can I run a 6509 with 1 x 1300W and 1 x 1800W (redundant)? Are the issues
> with doing this we should be aware of? I have asked this question of cisco
> integrators however all we get is "The engineers have put their heads
> together and say NO"

My understanding is YES, with the notion that you'd only have the output
of the 1300W (1152W IIRC) available to the system, but that shouldn't be
a problem for you at this time.

Caveat: I have had three 6509s fry simultaneously (ALL ports "inactive")
due to DC power issues (it's the only logical conclusion I can draw from
the facts available); the only thing thought to be good once the dust
settled was the power supplies.  The cards showed ports 'inactive' when
inserted into known-good chassis, the sups showed ports 'inactive'
locally and on known-good linecards when inserted into known-good
chassis, and the chassis showed ports 'inactive' when loaded with
known-good cards.  So you may want to take my advice with a grain of
salt.  ;)

pt