[c-nsp] BGP Route selection

Nathan have.an.email at gmail.com
Fri May 23 08:16:33 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Gary Roberton
<gary.ciscomail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have router A receiving network 80.0.0.0 from router 1 and router 2.
> Router 2 weights its metric so that it is less favourable.
>
> In router A's BGP table I can see both routes and the route from Router 1 is
> placed in the global routing table.  Fine.
>
> When you turn off Router1, Router A removes the route from the routing table
> and installs the less favoured route from Router2.  What you would expect.
>
> When I turn on Router1, Router A does not put the better route back into the
> routing table, even though it sees both in its BGP table.

Just a hunch, but are you redistributing the route through OSPF or
some other protocol too?

You'll need to look closely at the first character on each line in the
"show ip bgp" and "show ip route" output to see where the route is
coming from (you'll get full text when you run "show ip bgp x.x.x.x"
and "show ip route x.x.x.x")

> Anyone know why?

try "show ip bgp x.x.x.x" to begin with.

--
HTH,
Nathan