[c-nsp] 6509 power supply question

Scott McGrath mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu
Fri May 23 11:26:01 EDT 2008

Jeff,

I've done this before but one of the power supplies was sufficient to
run the chassis

What you need to do

1 - set the power to combined mode ( since the PS units will not match )
2 - remove one of the power supplies 110V cable
3 - install the 'new' power supply cable
4 - power it up and make sure it's online and recognized by the
supervisor(s)
5 - repeat steps 2-4 for second PS
6 - set power back to redundant
7 - Enjoy all the new power in your chassis

Only risk here is if you lose power on the single supply powering the
chassis during your window.
We did this a lot during our upgrade program as initially each single
6509 was distribution
for about 50 buildings on our campus we now have 2 at each 'core' and
each building has  a feed
from each.   So for obvious reasons the no shutdown option was attactive
to us.

- Scott