[c-nsp] 10G MMF on 12k ?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Nov 6 06:15:03 EST 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, vince anton wrote:

> Im looking at enabling 10G on the 12k platform and it looks like the
> SPA-1x10GE-L-V2 is the one to go for inside a SIP601. But it seems like
> the SPA only supports single mode SFPs.

The SPA-1x10GE-L-V2 supports XFP, not SFP.

> Im finding hard to believe that i need to use single mode fibre to connect
> the SPA to a switch in the same rack, besides the fact that I then most
> likely need to use optical attenuators to 'fix' the fact that Im using
> single mode fibre for such short distance !!

There is no need to use attenuators for 10GBASE-LR even if you run it over
a 1 meter cable. Also, I would be very surprised if cisco didn't support
SR in that module, where did you get that information?

> whats everyone doing with 10G on the 12k out there ?

For 10GE on 12k, I'd say the SIP-601 + SPA1x10GE-L-V2 is the best way to
go.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se