[c-nsp] Catalyst LAN Input Errors Query...

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Thu Nov 6 14:24:15 EST 2008

   Hello to all,

 I thought this would be easy to find, and maybe I haven't looked in the
right place, but figured I'd ask.

 I have a Cat6509 switch, and on a couple of the interfaces I have feeding
from some servers, I keep seeing input errors, as shown below:

FastEthernet9/48 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
  Hardware is C6k 100Mb 802.3, address is 0004.de66.8f73 (bia
0004.de66.8f73)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 3/255, rxload 24/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex, 100Mb/s
  input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input never, output 00:00:43, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:12:47
  Input queue: 0/2000/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
     1067610 packets input, 920823086 bytes, 0 no buffer
     Received 0 broadcasts (0 multicasts)
     0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
     839374 packets output, 146203703 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

 Notice that in less than 15 min I have almost 1000 input errors, but the
other more detailed counters show nothing.  I have had the cable swapped,
and the LAN card in the PC swapped, still the same results.

 What is just an input error?   Is this bad hardware, something I should
just expect on some interfaces to PC's, or what?

 I have googled around a bit, looked on Cisco's site, and everything says
that the input error counter is just the combined count of the other
counters like CRC, overrun, and so on, but they are all 0 for me..

 Any clues on where to look or what would cause this???

---
Howard Leadmon