[c-nsp] c3660: Utterly baffled by ROMs

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Nov 10 05:18:32 EST 2008

OK I understand now.  What you want is a "rommon" upgrade.  Unfortunately
it's rather brutal on COO to find these after Cisco reorganized things.

The "textbook" way to find it would be to go to:

http://www.cisco.com

click Support->Download Software->Router Software->

then go down to Cisco 3600 Series Multiservice Platforms,
click the + to the left to expand, then click Cisco 3661
Multiservice Platform.

IF a rommon upgrade was available, it would show as
"IOS ROMMON Software"

To do this as I mentioned you must have a login which
you get when you buy that service contract.

If an IOS ROMMON Software link does NOT show - which
incidentally is the case for the majority of Cisco
routers - then you CANNOT download rommon code.  You -must-
open a TAC case and if your rommon has the capability of
being flashed then TAC will send it to you.  BUT, many
of the older Cisco routers DID NOT have this capability,
you HAD to buy the rom chips from Cisco.

Unfortunately, as I have NOT had experience with the 3661
I cannot tell you if it's rommon chip is user-flashable.  You
will have to contact TAC at Cisco to proceed further.

Ted