[c-nsp] Upgrading edge router

Ben Steele ben.steele at internode.on.net
Tue Nov 11 06:08:40 EST 2008

I'd try and go the ASR1002 option, it shouldn't be too far off your 35k
budget without smartnet, although i'd recommend maintenance on the software
as you will want access to TAC for bugs, also if you can option in the HA
feature so you can get ISSU.

With 5Gb of throughput, dual psu and 4Gb(SFP) int's out the box with room
for expansion it's good bang for buck, the ASR is really aimed as the next
generation 7200 swiss army knife, being a software based feature platform
rather than a hardware(ie 7600/6500) it's a welcome new product and you
should see good life out of it, it has some limitations in its current form,
the only one that may concern you with your list that I can think of is lack
of AToM MPLS support, but that is due out in upcoming software release.

Put the quagga to rest! :)