[c-nsp] High CPU on 3750G-24-TS

William willay at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 06:15:11 EST 2008

Hi List,

We currently have a 3750G-E in our network which is experiencing a
high CPU load and I'm trying to understand why, the CPU is over 50%
all the time and at peak traffic times we are seeing around 85% on
Cacti using 5 minute averages.

When running a show proc cpu sorted I can see that IP Input is taking
up most of the CPU time with Spanning Tree coming second however ST is
only using a fraction of what IP Input is using.

The switch is not in a stack, runs IOS version 12.2(25)SEB4 and the
image is IPSERVICES, the configuration has one routed port to another
site (with sparse-dense-mode on), has one EIGRP process, 19 static
routes,  access lists which are only used for SNMP/VTY and it has two
VLAN interfaces. One of the VLAN interfaces has sparse-dense-mode
enabled and a igmp join-group command. It pushes a lot of multicast
traffic (around 10Mbits) which is probably the problem but I thought
the 3750 would have been able to handle it without an issue.

Any help is appreciated, I'd like to have a good understanding of what
is causing the issue.

Thank you for your time,