[c-nsp] ASR 9000

Julio Arruda jarruda-cnsp at jarruda.com
Wed Nov 12 09:35:26 EST 2008

Kevin Graham wrote:

>> Runs IOS XR, while the recent ASR 1000 series runs IOS XE?  Consistency
>>

>> would be nice.
>>

> ...or atleast call this a CRS-2 or something. I'm still crossing my fingers
> that there's a master plan for consistency (or alternatively, clear
> differentiation) between XR/XE/12.2SX/12.2SR/NX-OS.
>

>> Re-uses the RSP nomenclature, just recently put to bed in the 7500 series.
>>

> Nope, 7600 already revived it (RSP720). I don't see reference to line cards,
> but the photos look like ES40's, which finally gives some credibility to the
> 6500/7600 split (where new linecards are shared between ASR9000 and 7600).

I somewhat doubt this is the case..at least from what I can imagine...
This would imply in the ASR9k cards being able to talk with the 7600
backplane, that I understand, is quite distinct from the CRS-1 ? Isn't
the ASR9000 based of the CRS-1 hardware ?
Isn't the ASR 9000 based of the CRS-1 Metro packet processors also,
while the packet crunching on the 7600 is based of the EARL, and on the
ASR 1000 is based on the QFP ?
I can't seem to find details on the cards on the ASR 9000, but, just
making some wild guess here..
(of course, Cisco has been quite effective in getting a clear separation
from control plane to forwarding plane, and IOS-XR sure already runs on
another completely distinct box, the 12K-XR, so, maybe the 7600 will
gain from the ASR 9000 'revamp').