[c-nsp] ASR 9000

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Nov 12 20:04:15 EST 2008

On Thursday 13 November 2008 00:40:26 Christian MacNevin
wrote:

> Am I the only one that's getting a bit wary of Cisco
> crowding their own product space?

Personally, I don't see why providers won't consider using
the ASR9000 as a Metro-E router, even though Cisco are
adamant that that's not what it's intended for, and that
the 7600 still has a significant role to play in this area
for a long time to come.

I think the only reason folk wouldn't look at the ASR9000
for Metro-E P/PE deployments, at least in the short to
medium term, is because IOS XR might be anaemic when
compared to regular IOS.

Mark.