[c-nsp] ASR 9000

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Nov 12 20:07:25 EST 2008

On Thursday 13 November 2008 02:01:55 Tim Durack wrote:

> I think this is the result of competing BUs - no cohesive
> product strategy, instead lots of  groups trying to
> maximize profit out of existing/new products.

I've always thought that classifying products into
Enterprise, Service Provider, SOHO, e.t.c., is a waste of
time - and that goes for all vendors.

If it feels right, and cuts it, I'll deploy it.

We use a bunch of "desktop" switches for real customer
production traffic. The 6500 is what Cisco recommend for
service providers, but it doesn't make sense for some areas
of our network when compared to, say, the 3560.

We use 2800's where Cisco say we should use a 7200, e.t.c.,
you get the point.

I guess that kind of distinction is necessary from the
point-of-view of a vendor, but in practice, that area is
very, very grey.

Mark.