[c-nsp] Recommended Cisco boxes for a small multihoming solution?

bill fumerola billf at mu.org
Thu Nov 13 14:46:28 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:52:29AM +0100, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
> The setup currently uses 2 Juniper M5 but those are in dire need of refresh.

i realize this is a cisco list, but the reason i make this suggestion
is that it'd be easier to copy your configuration to what's already junos
than port to IOS:

look into the juniper j-series:
http://www.juniper.net/products_and_services/j_series_services_routers/index.html

even the lowest end device (w/ 1GB of memory from crucial.com or others)
can do what you're asking and w/ discount will be well below the other
solutions mentioned in this thread. even if your M5s have service PICs,
those are emulated in software on that platform.

> What is the appropiate Cisco boxes to go for? Do I need any memory upgrades
> etc?

others have mentioned the 7301/7201/7200-NPE-G2/ASR100x and those are
fine choices as well. i don't know if i'd go for the 28xx/38xx models
mentioned unless my budget was severely constrained or if i knew traffic
was never going to grow.

-- bill