[c-nsp] Cisco and Extreme

tt tt tt_745 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 17:53:55 EST 2008

We are currently looking to deploy a number of metro rings (mostly layer 2) with a requirement for basic QOS and rate limiting in 1Mbps increments. The ME3400 looks ideal if only it had decent granularity for policing / shaping. The Metro 3750 and 4900's (for dual 10Gbps uplinks) look more capable but at a significant increse in $$/port. This is leading us towards Extreme switches and linking EAPS rings back to our existing Cisco 7600's.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar setup and can comment on compatability between Cisco and Extreme?

Looking back over the lists there are many horror stories when venturing to layer 3 on Extreme a few years back but nothing since around 2006. Has any one had any success running OSPF on the currenty X250e / X450 ranges or has everyone been avoiding them lately?

Thanks

Dave