[c-nsp] sampled netflow on 6500

Patrick Viet patrick.viet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 19:57:19 EST 2008

Hello everybody,

First of all, I'll introduce myself. I'm Patrick, responsible for a small
French hosting network. It was formely Foundry-based and now it has been
upgraded to Cisco 6500 / SUP720-3BXL routers.

I had been using sflow up to now. It's very simplistic - and worked well for
me with our in-house analysis software. This is how it works : the headers
(source+destination ip/port + packet size + protocol...) of one packet in N
packets is sent to the sflow collector.
The sflow collector uses this sampled data to get a big picture about what
happens in the network.

I like this system. It's not super accurate but accurate enough in my case,
it's simple, and my software knows how to use it.

I have been reading a lot of documentation about Cisco sampled netflow, and
trying out a few config parameters. But it doesn't seem to be able to work
in the same way as sflow.

Is this operating mode available on Cisco ? Do you have any understandable
pointers about this ? Up to now, all I found that looked like what I want up
to now is outdated stuff about Cisco 12000 and IOS 12.0.x

BTW I'm running 12.2(18)SXF15

Thanks,

Patrick