[c-nsp] DualStack IPv4/IPv6 for access?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 18 08:46:32 EST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 09:44:00PM -0500, Paul Stewart wrote:
> What I'm after (and posed this question to Cisco in the summer at
> Networkers) is to assign IPv4 address via PPPOE as is done today and also
> assign an IPv6 address as well?  Is there such a method?

It will "just work".  You configure the IPv4 stuff as usual, and then
add the IPv6 stuff to your interface/radius/... config.

PPP will negotiate IPv4 (IPCP) and IPv6 (IPv6CP) independently, and you
can run v4-only, v6-only or v4+v6.

> Specially, customers who are served today via PPPOE get an IPv4 address
> dynamically assigned from an IP POOL after authenticating against Radius.
> I'd like to extend that and offer dynamic IPv6 space as well.

"Will just work".

(I have no configuration examples at hand right now, but our L2TP dial-in
works just like this, except with static IPv6 assignments from Radius)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de