[c-nsp] DualStack IPv4/IPv6 for access?

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Nov 18 08:58:26 EST 2008

On 19/11/2008, at 12:16 AM, Gert Doering wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 09:44:00PM -0500, Paul Stewart wrote:
>> What I'm after (and posed this question to Cisco in the summer at
>> Networkers) is to assign IPv4 address via PPPOE as is done today
>> and also
>> assign an IPv6 address as well?  Is there such a method?
>
> It will "just work".  You configure the IPv4 stuff as usual, and then
> add the IPv6 stuff to your interface/radius/... config.

Very platform dependent.

Don't expect it to do much useful stuff on a 10k, f'rinstance.

It works fine on a 7200 (it's how I get IPv6 at home).  But if your
LNS/BRAS is a PXF platform you're kinda out of luck, and if it's an
ASR1000-series you'll have to wait a while for the IP6CP feature
support to be added.

The next challenge is to find consumer-grade ADSL2+ CPE which
does IPv6.  Can't expect all my residential customers to run out
and buy 877's, right?

    - mark

I tried an internal modem,                    newton at atdot.dotat.org
      but it hurt when I walked.                          Mark Newton
----- Voice: +61-4-1620-2223 ------------- Fax: +61-8-82231777 -----