[c-nsp] VPN Concentrator 3000 and Windows IAS

JR Colmenares sforcejr at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 17:35:55 EST 2008

Cisco VPN concentrator 3000
Windows IAS 2000

I am trying to set up a RADIUS server for VPN users but I am having issues because I think
I do not have a good grasp on how ithe authentication/authorization works from the COncentrator
to the IAS server

My goal is to configure the remote group to connect to the VPN, then authenticate thru the
RADIUS server connect to the Active directory and in AD I can control the permissions and
security in our network

I followed the steps here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/products_configuration_example09186a0080094700.shtml

and the IAS will reject it. (Event ID 2 in Event Viewer, Source IAS)

I also went to configuration-System-Servers- Authentication and test it from there and I get
the message:

"Authentication Rejected: Unespecified"

I also found this link:
http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn3000/vpn3000_47/configuration/guide/ldapapp.html

But I think that it does not apply to my case since I am configuring the groups as "Internal"

If you could shed some light it would be very appreciated

Thanks

John