[c-nsp] E1 to Fiber POP Device?

Felix Nkansah felixnkansah at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 17:17:31 EST 2008

Hi All,
There are 7 telcos in the customer country. The project involves setting up
a central management centre for all the telcos. I do not have all the
details yet, as I am yet to travel to meet the main project contractors in
early December.

All connections to the central MC would be via fiber. The project owners
prefer the fiber WAN to be connected using basic L2/L3 Ethernet/IP
connections.

To the best of my understanding, the telcos have stated they prefer
connecting to the MC WAN network with E1s.

My duty is to come up with recommendations on what and how to connect the
incoming E1 traffic from the telcos and send them over the L2/L3 Ethernet/IP
fiber WAN.

Another alternative given to me is to connect the WAN fiber to firewalls at
all the location, and then the firewalls would connect via UTP to the E1
aggregation appliances.

I guess I am not making sense here. I wish though.

Let me know if you need further info from me.

And thanks for your efforts and answers so far.

Felix