[c-nsp] Cisco 7600 vlan issue

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 28 12:02:21 EST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 07:52:23AM -0800, Mark Tech wrote:
> Is there anyway around this? I want the 7600 to act like a router, not a switch!

In that case, buy a router, not a switch...

The upside is that the 7600 can do proper ether channels - so if you
just want to distribute traffic for the same VLAN over multiple GigEs,
just do an etherchannel and configure the routing on an SVI interface
(unlike the GSR which is severely limited on what features you can have
on an etherchannel).

And yes, this is one of the most serious design limitations of the
6500/7600 - "global VLAN space" (with LAN interfaces).  But it's a
well-known and well-documented limitation, so usually people know in
advance and can decide for themselve whether the tremendous price
advantage of LAN cards is worth the associated restrictions.

Our decision was: "'real' router interfaces are waaaay too expensive",
so we live with the restrictions and enjoy the sheer forwarding power :)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de