[c-nsp] Cisco 7600 vlan issue

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Fri Nov 28 13:57:49 EST 2008

On (2008-11-28 18:07 +0200), Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:

> Just to add (if i remember right) that ES and SRB didn't support local VLAN significance under single tagged subifs.
> I haven't checked if SRD and/or ES+ solve this problem.

ES+ does solve the issue indeed, but you're still limited to 4k VLANs. In ES cards
you need you use EVC to terminate colliding VLANs.
Cisco, please allow defining IP address directly under EVC, without requiring
bridge-group. For setups where you always only terminate through
one interface, switching is not needed and the additional configuration
is undesired.

> --
> Tassos
>
> Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote on 28/11/2008 18:01:
>> You're looking for "local VLAN significance".
>>
>> You probably have to get one of the WAN-style (ES20/40 for sure, don't
>> know for SIP/SPA) cards.
>>
>> --
>> Tassos
>>
>> Mark Tech wrote on 28/11/2008 17:52:
>>> Hi
>>> With my GSR, I can split traffic on seperate physical interfaces,
>>> reusing the same vlan #, i.e.
>>>
>>> interface GigabitEthernet0/0/6.2
>>>  encapsulation dot1Q 2
>>>  ip address 7.7.7.1 255.255.255.252
>>>  no ip directed-broadcast
>>>  no cdp enable
>>> !
>>> interface GigabitEthernet0/0/7.2
>>>  encapsulation dot1Q 2
>>>  ip address 8.8.8.1 255.255.255.252
>>>  no ip directed-broadcast
>>>  no cdp enable
>>>
>>> However with a 7600, if I try to do the same I get the following error:
>>>

>>> interface GigabitEthernet1/9.2
>>>  encapsulation dot1Q 2
>>>  ip address 3.3.3.1 255.255.255.252
>>>  no cdp enable
>>> !
>>> 7600(config)#interface GigabitEthernet1/10.2
>>> 7600(config-subif)# encapsulation dot1Q 2
>>> Command rejected: VLAN 10 not available
>>> 7600(config-subif)#
>>>

>>> Is there anyway around this? I want the 7600 to act like a router,
>>> not a switch!
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Mark

  ++ytti